BIOL320 is designed to teach some of the general principles of biochemistry while relating them back to the physiological conditions of an organism.
There are several recurring topics designed into this course:
- Four main classes of biomolecules (nucleic acids, proteins, carbohydrates and lipids) are introduced to provide an understanding of their structure, properties and biological functions.
- The main functional roles of biomolecules and relating their structure to function.
- Relationship of biochemistry to the physiology of an organism.
- Relationship of bioenergetics to the physiological state.
- Regulation of rates through the metabolic pathways.
- Relationship of enzyme structure to catalysis and regulation.
Description of the chemistry underlying most of the metabolic reactions.