Topic 1Course Rationale and Goals
- Students will become more familiar with fundamental theory of electrodynamics.
- Students will learn the basic applications of Maxwell's equations.
- Students will learn basic properties of electromagnetic plane waves.
- Students will learn basic transmission line theory.
- Students will learn basic impedance matching concepts.
Some application areas of time-varying fields, revision of static fields, Time- varting fields, Faraday's Law of Elecromagnetic Induction, Lenz's Law, displacement current density, modified Ampere's law, integral forms of the Maxwell's equations. Constitutive Relations. Wave Equations for E and H fields. Power flow, energy, Poynting's Thorem. Sinusoidally changing EM fields, phasor forms of Maxwell's Equations and Wave Equations. Uniform Plane Waves, Polarization of Uniform Plane Waves.
Plane Waves In Lossy Media
Low loss dielectrics, good conductors.
Reflection and Refraction of Plane Waves at Plane Boundaries
Oblique Incidence case, Total Reflection, Perpendicular Polarization, Parallel Polarization, Brewster Angle of no Reflection, Normal Incidence Case.
Introduction, Transmission Lime Prameters, Transmission Line Rquations, Lossless Transmission Lines.