- COMP434 Cryptography and Network Security
Three aspects of data security: security attacks, security mechanisms and security services; A model of network security.
- Classical encryption techniques
Cryptanalysis and brute-force attack; substitution techniques: Ceasar's cipher, monoalphabetic ciphers, Playfair cipher, Hill cipher, polyalphabetic ciphers, Vigenere cipher; transposition techniques: rail fence technique, other techniques; rotor machines.
- Modern encryption techniques - block ciphers
Traditional block cipher structure, S-DES, block cipher design principles, IDEA, Blowfish.
- Basic concepts in number theory
Divisibility and the division algorithm, Euclidian algorithm, modular arithmetic, polynomial arithmetic, Fermat's and Euler's theorems, testing for primality.
- Public-key cryptography and RSA
Principles of public-key cryptography, the RSA algorithm
- Integrity of cryptographic data
Message authentication, digital signatures, cryptographic hash functions, message authentication codes, MD5 algorithm, key management and distribution.